Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Champion trials rider - and Halton local - Ben Slinger visits the site (on his bike!)

On Sunday 10 July, Ben Slinger, Halton's 'local hero', came to help us celebrate the start of our build with a fantastic on-site display of his trials skills.



Ben, 20, is a member of the GB Cycling Team and a former International Trials Cycling Junior World Champion -- and no stranger to the Lancaster Cohousing site, as he has used the Lune river bank alongside the site for many years to practise his amazing bike skills, which include hopping up steps and boulders on one wheel, six foot jumps, and fantastic spins. His professional trials bike display team has featured at many events and shows and made TV appearances on Tour of Britain, Sky Sports, Blue Peter and BBC London news.

Ben said: "It's been great to watch the cohousing project over the years as it's come through the planning stages. It's very exciting to know that it is going to happen. I'm proud to be a groundbreaking Halton lad, performing all over the world, and I'm proud that this project has chosen my village for its groundbreaking eco-design - hopefully it will be another reason for Halton to be world-ranking!"

We'd like to thank Ben again for coming along, he gave us a whole different perspective on the site. Amazing.

www.lancastercohousing.org.uk

2 comments:

  1. I must admit I was sceptical about getting Ben involved, not seeing what BMX had to do with cohousing, but looking at these pictures and reading what Ben had to say makes me realize how wrong I was. The excitement of the project is brought to vivid life by Ben's stunts. I wish now I'd been there in person to see them. Memo to self: next time, ditch the scepticism!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah me too, was a bit sceptical but wish I had seen the stunts too!

    James

    ReplyDelete